Re: Difference between digital phone and VOIP

Frank Olson wrote:
> Doug wrote:
>
>> I could be wrong but I think that the difference is that cable digital
>> phone providers use their own cable infrastucture, while  VoIP uses
>> the public internet
>>
>> Doug
>>

> I think you may be closer to the truth.  I've had several customers
> switch to Shaw's Digital Phone...  With no problems on the alarm end
> (and that includes downloading the panels).

But why does (Cable systems) digital work and VOIP has so many problems?

We don't have any problems with DSL (assuming filters are properly
applied) and as the name implies - that's digital also.

The downloader guys at CS are griping about not being able to hit
digital phone customers - but these are the same guys who want a tech to
go out to a site because the customer keeps answering the phone (they
don't bother to talk to the customer and explain anything, they want a
tech to drive out and do all the talking).  They claim there is no
difference between the cable company's digital phone service and VOIP
systems.

I've tried to google it but all the explanations are vague and geared
towards selling the product.