Re: Difference between digital phone and VOIP

>But why does (Cable systems) digital work and VOIP has so many problems?
>
>We don't have any problems with DSL (assuming filters are properly
>applied) and as the name implies - that's digital also.
>
>The downloader guys at CS are griping about not being able to hit
>digital phone customers - but these are the same guys who want a tech to
>go out to a site because the customer keeps answering the phone (they
>don't bother to talk to the customer and explain anything, they want a
>tech to drive out and do all the talking).  They claim there is no
>difference between the cable company's digital phone service and VOIP
>systems.
>
>I've tried to google it but all the explanations are vague and geared
>towards selling the product

Digital signals sent over a cable network generally use proprietary
equipment that is provided for and maintained by the cable company all
the way to the head-end or switching center.

VOIP is based on the principle of sending packets of data over public
networks and (hoping) that they eventually get to the right place and
assemble themselves in the correct order.   The Internet companies
don't care about the integrity of the data packets.  They just pass
them along as routine data.

Thus, over a period of time, links will go dead, cables will be cut,
etc.  Perhaps redundant circuits will kick in... perhaps not.

There was a recent news story about fishermen salvaging undersea fibre
optic cables in Thailand (the cables contain valuable metal conductors
to power the repeaters).  It shut down most of the Internet links to
that country for weeks.  Bad fisherman!

The big phone companies traditionally have had the incentive to
maintain their links, and provide redundant links should the main
circuits go dead.  They could afford to give good service because they
were paid to do so.

These new breeds of VOIP Telcos just digitize the information and put
it on the public Internet, sort of like e-mail.   It will probably get
there, eventually, hopefully, but don't ask for a guarantee.  And...
if not... to whom do you call to complain to?