Re: Difference between digital phone and VOIP

Robert L Bass wrote:

[...]

>> A panel designed for networking, bypassing the
>> VoIP modem, will work a whole lot better than
>> one using VoIP as a POTS replacement...
>
> Agreed.  However, there are many millions of
> existing systems which currently use POTS and
> will soon be sitting behind VoIP.  I expect we'll also
> see plenty of Alarm-Internet "dialers" offered to
> fill the coming market niche.  This would be
> a great opportunity for that Loxxon character.  :^)

Seriously,
Do you think there is a real market opportunity there?
One of my clients is possibly interested in us making a unit like
that, and we were kicking some ideas around.
Basically a networked POST-simulator that understands SIA and CID.
Possibly with a socket for a GSM module too.
It would be a bit problematic to allow up/downloading unless you work
out the specifics with each panel mfg, but reporting would be easy.
I wasn't too enthusiastic about it, since I figured it must
have been done already -- do you know of such a widget?

</A>