Re: Video surveillance system questions

Tom wrote:
> I have been tasked with the job of upgrading the old video surveillance
> system at my work. The wish list for the new system is...
>
> - Be able to view the video streams from any of the 10 to 12
> surveillance cameras from any computer on the company's network.

All the PC-based systems I normally work with - VideoInsight, Vigil and
Capture - will do this.  VideoInsight has both a LAN client (which can
be made to work over the Internet, but not readily), and supports remote
viewing via web browser; Vigil has a remote client but no web viewing
(at least not at GA release yet); Capture has both remote client and web
viewing as well.

> - Record all video for a week or two.

Any DVR should do this, it's just a question of storage space.  500GB
drives are so cheap these days, it should be no problem.

> - Two of the cameras will be on/in a storage building in the rear
> parking lot. This building is 200' away from the main building and only
> has power running to it.

Here's where it gets tricky: getting a video signal from those cameras
somehow.  If there's an unused phone line running to the building, you
can always piggyback video over a couple pairs of that wire using video
baluns.  There may also be adapters that will let you run video over the
power lines, but I've not seen them (then again, I've never looked).
Other than that, you'd either have to go wireless, which can get
expensive, or have a line run to the building, which can also be
expensive.  WiFi network cameras MAY work with the aid of a signal
booster and/or directional antenna, but that starts to get expensive as
well, and won't be as reliable as dedicated technology or a hard-wired feed.

> Optional items are...
>
> - View any camera's video from any internet connected computer.

See above - any DVR that has remote- or web-viewing capability should
let you select any one camera, or any number of cameras in standard grid
layouts.

> - And the least needed item is cell phone notification upon motion
> activity.

I've had a couple people ask for this.  Both had my disable it within
the first day.  They got sick of the phone ringing every time a shadow
of a tree moved with the wind, or a dog ran across the yard.

On the other hand, we did recently set a client up with a VideoInsight
system that he could view on the web browser on his Motorola Q.  He was
quite pleased with that (in fact, that was the main selling point for
the VI system).

Reference links:
http://www.video-insight.com
http://www.camacc.com (for Vigil)
http://www.capturecctv.ca

These are by no means the only games in town, just the ones I'm familiar
with.  All have their strengths and weaknesses.