Re: Video surveillance system questions

There are many ways to do that. One approach is to use a conventional DVR
set up or for more flexibility a hybrid setup like the GE SymDec 16 plus 4
http://www.gesecurity.com/portal/site/GESecurity/menuitem.f76d98ccce4cabed5efa421766030730?selectedID=11738&seriesyn=true&seriesID=#relatedProducts
 or Bosch. I like to use the DiBos version 8 DVR over any other regular or
hybrid DVR.
http://fe0wap86.bosch.de/intershoproot/eCS/Store/all/ST_NA/lit1/DiBosMicroDigit_Brochure_enUS_T4168105995.pdf
Unfortunately the black box type of DVR is probably going the way of the
dinosaur (or of tape VCR units and mux units anyway) in another 3 to 5
years.
If you want to get an up to date system that will live and grow beyond that
time frame you can use IP network cameras or conventional cameras with edge
encoders. Edge encoders are made by many companies including Verint,
http://www.verint.com/video_solutions/index.cfm
DVTel http://www.dvtel.com/page.asp?cat=32&type=4&lang=1&parent=31
American Dynamics http://www.americandynamics.net/intellexip/default.aspx
Axis http://www.axis.com/products/video/video_server/index.htm
If you want to go further you can add edge recording. True edge encoding,
analytics and recording is currently only offered by Bosch (after purchasing
all the patents from VCS) You can learn all you may need to know at
http://www.boschsecurity.us/ip/
Since you mention the word company you may wish to integrate video into
access control or use the video for management or manufacturing processes in
the future. For that reason as well as others in my opinion you would do
well to stay away from garage built type grabber card DVR units like
GeoVision http://www.geovision.com.tw/english/index.asp or Video Insight
http://www.video-insight.com and the rest of the low end of the market.
Those units focus on video to the exclusion of any interface with other
security product lines.