Re: the police was dispatched to ... the wrong house

> Most companies I know have a strict protocol
> in place to make certain this type of thing
> doesn't happen. I think that is one more reason
> why downloading panels is better than keypad
> programming. The way we do it is one person
> is responsible for obtaining the account number,
> and checks for no duplicates from a master list.
> Another person in accounting reviews that whole
> process when the customer record is created in
> the accounting software. Then the panel is
> programmed and tested with that information
> and checked a third time. If you have guys
> calling on the phone for an account number and
> writing it on a scrap of paper, or trying to
> remember what the account number was while
> they punch it in via the keypad, then yes these kinds of things can happen.

Honeywell systems are so easy to program by
keypad that most of my DIY customers opt to do
it that way.  Napco, on the other hand, is much
easier done by PC.  Also, the Napco PCI-MINI
computer interface is inexpensive ($21 retail) so
most of our Napco Gemini systems are programmed
by PC.  I usually walk the client through the
programming process.  It takes an average of 20
minutes to program a Napco Gemini P9600 and a
little less for a P3200.  The smaller panels are even
quicker.

Since the vast majority of DIYers don't want CS
monitoring, there's almost no chance of one of
them causing the kind of problem this "professional"
installer did.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass