Re: Major shortcoming in Paradox new panel lineup

I am in total agreement with Reg. In the residential market where I
sell services, anything that makes a panel more difficult to operate
is a step backward. In fact, if the truth be known, about 30% of the
buying public likely shouldn't have an alarm that involves
authorities, since they do not and will not learn to use it properly,
regardless of the level of training. It seems that Paradox has not
done their homework with their customers (buying dealers) before
coming out with this major operating change, which is a step backwards
in my view. I see all sorts of user problems with this way of
operating, some of which Reg has pointed out. They have very stupidly
destandardized both the 1738 and 1759 panels as well, with no
replacement except this new line.Plus even worse, the new keypads are
not backward compatible, so if any of the very many Spectra panels I
have in service dies, and I have to replace it with the new
technology, both the panel and keypad must be replaced, and the client
has to totally relearn his alarm system. I am also reserving judgment
on their "Stay D" operating methodology although I think that will end
up leading to more operating problems as well (all zones always
armed....you specifically disarm certain zones to enter through the
system).

I too have to rethink my loyalty to Paradox and may well end up using
a different brand of panel as my 'standard install". I also intend to
express my disappointment directly to Paradox. But at the same time, I
don't expect they will change things, since they probably factored in
a certain level of "dealer loss" in their decision to go this route.
However, the least they could do is ramp up the 1738 / 1759 panels
again for those of us who chose not to use their new systems.

R.H.Campbell
Home Security Metal Products
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
www.homemetal.com