Re: Problem With ADT System - Need Advice

Tom,

Here are a few more for your pitch book.

1. Liberty Furniture v. Sonitrol, 53 Wn. App. 879, 770 P.2d 1086, review denied, 113 Wn.2d 1005 (1989).
In that case, a company hired Sonitrol to monitor its warehouses for fire. The contract limited Sonitrol's liability for any loss to
a sum equal to ten percent of the annual service charge or $250, whichever was greater. Liberty Furniture subsequently lost a
warehouse full of furniture when its sprinkler system activated without Sonitrol notifying the company of the problem with the
system. The trial court instructed the jury that Sonitrol's gross negligence would invalidate this clause. Id. at 880. The court of
appeals affirmed this jury instruction.

2. Hill v. Sonitrol of Southwestern Ohio, Inc., 36 Ohio St.3d 36, 1988

A woman was accosted outside her building and forced back inside where she suffered a brutal assault.  Sonitrol did nothing.  She
lost the case because the contract stated the security system was only for the benefit of the building's owner and not for anyone on
the premises.  The point here is that Sonitrol either didn't pick up anything at all or (worse) ignored the whole thing.

3. Dzwonkowski v. Sonitrol of Mobil, Inc. No. 1030285 Apr. 23, 2004
Corporate wrongdoing

4. Indiana Decisions - Sonitrol owes $1 million to murder victim's child "Sonitrol owes $1 million to murder victim's child" is the
headline to this story today in the Muncie StarPress. Some quotes:

MUNCIE - Sonitrol Security Systems of Muncie was partly responsible for the death of Michael Young, a 33-year-old liquor store clerk
who was murdered in 1997, a Delaware Circuit Court 1 jury has ruled.
The seven-member jury decided Young's child, Darian, now 10, was entitled to recover $1 million in damages from the local Sonitrol
franchise.
"The alarm company essentially failed to send help when help was needed," said James Fisher, an Indianapolis attorney representing
Young's mother, Ruby, and brother, Monty. * * *

Normally, the liquor store closed at midnight, at which time Young, working alone, would activate the burglar alarm. If he or
another employee failed to activate the burglar alarm, Sonitrol would call the store within a half hour. If no one answered,
Sonitrol would immediately call the liquor store's general manager.

On the night in question, Sonitrol didn't call the store's general manager until 3:15 a.m. to find out why the burglar alarm had not
been armed at midnight.

There are lots more similar stories -- many of them tragic -- involvong this irresponsible company.