Re: Hook in AC Fire Alarms to Security System

Frank Olson wrote:

> If you're actually bent on doing this, NFPA does allow you to connect
> your 120VAC smoke alarms through a listed relay to your burglar panel.
> It does NOT allow connection to a UL listed Fire Alarm Control, however.
>  I would never recommend this type of interconnection for obvious
> reasons, however the section of NFPA which references this topic is NFPA
> 72-2002 11.7.6.7.
>
> You must use a relay that's listed for operation with the specific smoke
> alarms.

I should clarify the "It does NOT allow connection to a UL listed Fire
Alarm Control, however" comment.  You *can* monitor *status* of almost
any device on a listed fire alarm panel (program a zone as a "monitor"
zone).  Some other examples are:  fire dampers, exhaust fans,
pressurization fans, generator "status" indicators, etc.  You can't use
a 120VAC smoke alarm (even with a listed relay) to initiate an alarm in
place of a properly listed two wire supervised smoke detector.