Re: Hook in AC Fire Alarms to Security System

racerx90@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> (Other than from an asthetics point of view) I suppose I could install
> two sets fire alarms in the house.The only way I could do this though
> would be to do it wirelessly (or rebuild my house since it would be
> near impossible to route the wires without major destruction! ;)
>
> The only thing I'm a little confused by is why would Cepco sell such a
> system if it was against code. They say on their web site that not only
> is it UL Listed but Listed with the California Fire Marshal (CSFM
> 7300-1628-100.) It's specifically designed for 120V Fire Alarms to be
> connected to an Alarm Panel for monitoring purposes (states it right in
> the application notes in several places.)
>
> I hope we're all talking about the same system here, it's not a direct
> connect method (i.e. using a BRK relay module for instance which is
> ABSOLUTELY against code and I'm aware of this.) The way they do their
> system is much different than I've seen before. If you don't know what
> I mean then you might want to check out their web site for details.
>
> I understand this is not the most ideal method since the two systems
> are independent and no supervision would be possible. But wouldn't it
> be better to have some monitoring than none at all? (Not doing
> something doesn't make any sense to me since if a fire broke out at my
> house and I'm not home it's going to burn to the ground period - my
> neighbors are just too far away to notice.)
>
> Thanks!!
>

> Crash Gordon wrote:
>
>>Don't do it. Do it right or don't do it at all. I cringe everytime I see
>>someone do this.
>>

>><racerx90@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>| I'm looking to tie in my BRK AC fire alarm system into my Caddx NX-8e
>>| Security System so I can have it monitored in case of a fire. I'd
>>| prefer not to rewire my entire house with fire alarms if possible.
>>|
>>| Does anyone of any systems which will allow me to tie the two systems
>>| together (i.e. AC->DC systems)? I'm aware of the safety issues/code
>>| violations around doing this, so I'd like to do it the right way.
>>|
>>| So far, the only thing I've seen which can do this is the Cepco system
>>| which monitors the alarm from a sensor which sends a signal over the AC
>>| wires which gets picked up by a remote receiver which can be either
>>| hardwired-in or plugged directly into an AC outlet (the box has either
>>| NO or NC connections leading from it.)
>>|
>>| I wasn't sure if there were any other systems out there that can also
>>| do this that might be a better way of doing it. Thanks!!!

If you're actually bent on doing this, NFPA does allow you to connect
your 120VAC smoke alarms through a listed relay to your burglar panel.
It does NOT allow connection to a UL listed Fire Alarm Control, however.
  I would never recommend this type of interconnection for obvious
reasons, however the section of NFPA which references this topic is NFPA
72-2002 11.7.6.7.

You must use a relay that's listed for operation with the specific smoke
alarms.