Re: Batteries and Fire

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 02:08:10 -0500, "Robert L Bass"
<robertbass1@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> The graveyard shift operator looked up and saw flames flowing past the c/s windows.
>> A few seconds later the operations room went dark, and the phones went dead.
>> A fire, caused by and fueled by the hundreds of "dead" gell-cell batteries carelessly tossed into the garbage area one floor below
>> Motion Detection Systems Inc UL-listed monitoring station (S-1546) at 1221 Madison, Oakland CA, had burned thru the AC power lines
>> and the 200-pair telco cable serving the station.
>> It took over 6 weeks, in 1985, to put the station back into service.
>> True facts.
>
>Yep.  And yet Julian still insists there's no danger at all.

Nice little omission there bASS, I said:

"Is fire possible if you toss the battery in
the garbage without taping the terminals...... yes, but not PROBABLE'

If you're stupid enough to store hundreds of "dead" gel cell batteries
in an unsafe manner, then the answer is - according to the story -
probable.

Do I really have to go through all the unsafe things to do with
batteries?

I guess not, since bASS is such experienced professionial that he
tosses his batteries in the garbage. Oh, and don't forget the tape,
you know it'll never come off the terminals and will protect them
forever.

And just how does a one foot long piece of newsprint wrap itself
around battery terminals and then attach to the battery?

Only in bASS's twisted world I guess.

Julian.