Batteries and Fire

So it turns out I didn't need to experiment with batteries to see if
they can start a fire. An incompetent shipper from Burtek did me the
favour when he  badly packaged a case of batteries. For some stupid
reason, they did not come in the orginal cardboard case with the nice
cardboard pieces separating the batteries and another nice cardboard
piece on top. Instead they were packaged in a makeshift box and at
some time were jostled about and two of the batteries touched
terminals. The little plastic protectors came off and the batteries
shorted together. But no fire. Scorching, yes, but no fire. The
terminals of the batteries fried off. Nothing there but little nubs.
It's likely that there wasn't enough oxygen to keep the fire going.
Now had someone added an accelerant, that would be a different story.

So there you go Robert. Is fire possible if you toss the battery in
the garbage without taping the terminals...... yes, but not PROBABLE.
If two new batteries touching terminals doesn't start a fire inside a
cardboard box stuffed with paper, it's highly doubtful a dead battery
tossed into a residential garage will.

Julian