Re: Batteries and Fire

> "Is fire possible if you toss the battery in
> the garbage without taping the terminals

Note 1: I never said one *ought* to toss a used battery in the garbage.  However, it is often done.

> ...... yes, but not PROBABLE'

It is also not probable that you will wreck your car during any given drive to the market.  Nevertheless, it is considered prudent
to wear seat belts.  Safety precautions are for what might happen -- not just what is most likely to happen.

> If you're stupid enough to store hundreds
> of "dead" gel cell batteries in an unsafe
> manner, then the answer is - according to
> the story - probable.

Actually, all it takes is one battery.

> Do I really have to go through all the
> unsafe things to do with batteries?

Obviously not.

> And just how does a one foot long
> piece of newsprint wrap itself around
> battery terminals and then attach to
> the battery?

That was a suggested experiment to illustrate that the battery can indeed start a fire.  Certain famous tests of fires involved
placing an electric heating element used to light a charcoal fire unmder the cushion of a sofa.  That doesn't mean that the testers
expected even Julian to place his charcoal starter under his living room sofa.  Perhaps they don't know him.  :^)

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics