Re: Should I have the alarm keypad installed in the coat closet?

"anonymous" <nospam@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm going to have a fairly basic hardwired residential alarm system
> installed in my home. I'm thinking of having the installer mount it inside
> the coat closet by the outside door, instead of out in the open on the
> wall by the door, for two reasons: (1) This should prevent our young
> children from playing with it. With its buttons and lights, Im sure
> they'll want to play with it. If we mount it a bit out of their reach,
> they'll get a chair. If we mount it higher than they can reach with a
> chair, then my wife won't easily be able to reach it, and it will probably
> look strange anyway. (2) I've read that sometimes uneducated burglars,
> upon breaking in, immediately destroy the keypad or rip it off the wall,
> because they think it will prevent a call to the police. That would cost
> me money. If it's in the closet, I suppose they're less likely to find it
> or bother with it. What are your thoughts? Thanks for your time.

I have a 3 year-old and a 9 year-old at home and haven't had a problem with
them playing with the keypad.  Maybe if you spend some time to explain what
it is they won't think of it as a toy.

The cost of replacing/reinstalling a keypad would probably be minor compared
to the other costs associated with a break-in (compromised
locks/doors/windows, stolen items, etc.).

Don't put the control panel in the closet.  I'm sure that where the
semi-educated burglars would go to try and shut things down.