Re: the police was dispatched to ... the wrong house

>> Exactly!  If the dealer who bushed this up
>> reads this newsgroup he's probably trying
>> to find a way to blame his mistake on some
>> "fat fingered DIYer" rather than admit he
>> screwed up and fix the problem.  This is
>> yet another reason for the homeowner to
>> consider DIY.  At least if he makes a mistake
>> he'll know who did it.
>
> BULLSHIT!

You figure if he screws it up he won't know who
did it?  I guess after years of blaming all your
own mistakes on some imaginary DIYer, you're
accustomed to not realizing how much you
screw up.

> The DIY'er could do everything perfect - wire,
> install, program & test the alarm and then some
> days, weeks, months or even years later,
> someone (more than likely a DIYer) goes to put
> their account online and mistakenly programs
> the wrong account number, but the same as Mr.
> Perfect's account. Now when Mr. Wrong Account
> Number tests, he sends in a code for Mr. Perfect's
> panel...

There you go again.  Some say that something like
2% of the industry is DIY.  The rest are "professional
installations".  Better than 98% of all alarms are
false.  Yet this moron blames all the problems on
DIYers.

> What's the operator going to do?...

The proper *first* signal should always be a test
signal.  If the test signal comes in with the wrong
Caller ID, the operator should call both the number
on the Caller ID *and* the client that owns that
account number to warn that there is a problem.

> If it's a one man operation, then the operator
> has a chance to know what's going on and may
> be able to prevent a false dispatch...

That's one more reason why a small, mom & pop
alarm company can often do a better job than a
company like Monitronics.

> But if it's in one of the big megastations,
> then the operator who receives the bogus alarm
> signal from Mr. Wrong Account Number...

If it's a test signal, even a large CS can easily
generate a trouble report which, if properly handled,
results in the problem being solved *before* an alarm
signal is sent.  Again (in case you weren't paying
attention) test signals are your friend.  If you use
them correctly they will tell you more than that
the panel is out there and alive.

> --- snip drivel ---

>>BTW, in the past week I sold nine Vista-128FB
>>systems, one VISTAKEY access control
>>system with a Vista-250, several commercial
>>security alarms and nearly a dozen residential
>>alarms.  Every one was to a first time DIYer.
>>Home automation sales are slower than this
>>time last year but we're still doing a fair
>>number of ELK-M1G Gold systems.
>

> Who the FUCK cares? Oh yeah, NOBODY HERE!

Apparently you care enough to yell and curse.  It
must have seemed important to you.  :^)

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass