Re: I am Mr. Trunk Slammer

You know this reminds me of the same discussion I had with all of the techs
that liked to keypad program a DSC panel and thought it was easy. They
thought it was a silly waste of time to download the panel since it was so
easy to program by keypad. Part of the reasoning in my answer to download
all panels is in your response.

>The 832/864's are easy to program by keypad.

You know that the 832/864 aren't a current production panel for DSC and
can't be used in our area because they lack CP-01 sticker. It is only the
current production 1616, 1832 and 1864 panels that can be used. It is a
simple mistake, everyone knows what you mean, but it is still incorrect;
especially since I identified the panel was an DSC 1864 in the original
post. There is an important difference in the 832/864 and the 1832/1864
group of panels. One group is legal to install and the other no longer is.
It is not a small matter, especially here.

The test was simple for the techs that wanted to continue to keypad program.
Let me upload and error check all panels you keypad programmed in the past.
If there are no flagged errors then keep programming by keypad. All the
panels programmed by keypad had an average of three errors. None were
critical but a few were serious. At first the techs tried to defend their
errors and say the error checker itself was wrong. That happened mostly
where the back up number was entered in phone number 3, but not turned on in
the options. It is easy to overlook. Many were red faced surprised to
realize it wouldn't dial the backup number without that option checked.
Failing to enter monthly test timer time was a common error. Turning off O/C
s for residential accounts is another.

Even with the "program sheet" in front of them the original template was
never error checked, but still all the remaining programs based on that were
assumed to be correct. They weren't.

Try it yourself. You might be surprised what you find when you error check
your work. It won't hurt anything but your pride.