Re: I am Mr. Trunk Slammer

Roland Moore wrote:
> You know this reminds me of the same discussion I had with all of the techs
> that liked to keypad program a DSC panel and thought it was easy. They
> thought it was a silly waste of time to download the panel since it was so
> easy to program by keypad. Part of the reasoning in my answer to download
> all panels is in your response.

Ummmm....  Actually, part of your reasoning is probably due to lack of
experience.

>> The 832/864's are easy to program by keypad.
>
> You know that the 832/864 aren't a current production panel for DSC and
> can't be used in our area because they lack CP-01 sticker.

Actually, I didn't know that.  Both the 832 and 864 are still available
in Canada (primarily because the 1832/1864 haven't passed ULC
certification as yet).

> It is only the
> current production 1616, 1832 and 1864 panels that can be used.

Maybe that's true down "your way"...

> It is a
> simple mistake, everyone knows what you mean, but it is still incorrect;
> especially since I identified the panel was an DSC 1864 in the original
> post. There is an important difference in the 832/864 and the 1832/1864
> group of panels. One group is legal to install and the other no longer is.
> It is not a small matter, especially here.

Both the 1832 and 1864 are dead simple to program.  What I don't like is
the fact that DSC has gone "cheap" on the installation and programming
manuals...  What's with the fold-out, anyway?  I keep expecting a sexy
centerfold once it's all unfolded...  Instead I get this really cheesy
multi-coloured sheet that looks like some guy went nuts with MS Word.

> The test was simple for the techs that wanted to continue to keypad program.
> Let me upload and error check all panels you keypad programmed in the past.

???  That's SOP for every installation.  And I can tell you we have zero
errors.

> If there are no flagged errors then keep programming by keypad.

Thank you...  We will.

> All the
> panels programmed by keypad had an average of three errors. None were
> critical but a few were serious. At first the techs tried to defend their
> errors and say the error checker itself was wrong. That happened mostly
> where the back up number was entered in phone number 3, but not turned on in
> the options. It is easy to overlook. Many were red faced surprised to
> realize it wouldn't dial the backup number without that option checked.
> Failing to enter monthly test timer time was a common error. Turning off O/C
> s for residential accounts is another.

I'd suggest you sit your techs down for an afternoon, and show them how
to program by keypad.  It's obvious these guys are having a hard time
with the new manual format.

> Even with the "program sheet" in front of them the original template was
> never error checked, but still all the remaining programs based on that were
> assumed to be correct. They weren't.
>
> Try it yourself. You might be surprised what you find when you error check
> your work. It won't hurt anything but your pride.

You really need to pursue another line of work.  Might I suggest on line
sales??  I hear Bass is lookin'.