Re: Notifier

>> all smokes are homerun on...Cat3...nice eh?
>
> I have always heard different points of viw on
> this; but what if you used the CAT 3 for a data
> loop with popits or SIMS? Would you have to
> use approved fire wire to the smokes just for
> the data loop in residential? I heard it both ways.

If it's a fire alarm the cable would still have to be
listed for the purpose.

On a related subject, when doing combo burg/fire
alarms in residences in CT we would occasionally
meet inspectors who required not only the smoke
detectors to be run with fire alarm cable, but also
the sirens, strobes and keypads.  That was fine
since keypads in those days invariably used
ordinary 22/4.  We simply made it SOP to run
18/4 fire cable to them and there was no problem.

With newer panels starting to use CAT5 for the
keypads and expansion modules the situation is
changing.  I wonder how long it will take for some
of the older inspectors to "catch up" to the new
technology.  It's easier for me now.  I explain
what the manufacturer specifies and warn DIY
customers to check with the local AHJ.

For the home described in the opening post of
this thread I'd terminate the CAT3 and use
wireless smokes.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass