Re: Using garage door safety beams

Les Blalock wrote:
> On Sun, 03 Sep 2006 05:33:22 GMT, Frank Olson
> <Use_the_email_links@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>>It seems to me that the beams are usually mounted too low for accurate
>>detection (you may pick up a stray cat or dog nosin' about).  I'd
>>suggest going with an actual beam detector or one of those chime units
>>you see being used in many retail store entrances.
>

> Granted, it's not a strong security application but I think it would
> suit my need.  Although the beam could easily be avoided by somebody
> trying to be stealthy, I think the beam would be pretty effective on
> the neighborhood kids who might wander in just to see what's
> available.
>
> Thanks,
> Les

The beam on my garage door is way too low to be effective (in my
opinion).  It's too easy for a person to "step over" and will probably
give you a whole lot more in the way of grief than it's worth (cats,
squirrels, and puppy dogs).  If you're still bent on using it, there's
obviously a relay inside the motor housing (I can hear mine "clicking"
when I interrupt the beam) and a person with a "modicum of soldering
skills" could easily parallel the output to a chime (you'll need a local
power supply to make it work).