Re: Press "1" for English

On 28 Oct 2006 08:19:15 -0700, "Everywhere Man" <alarminstall@xxxxxxx>
wrote:

>G. Morgan wrote:
>> On 27 Oct 2006 18:51:59 -0700, "Everywhere Man" <alarminstall@xxxxxxx>
>> wrote:

>> >I hate agreeing with you.
>> >Now before you get all happy let's set the record straight.
>> >I agree about not alienating customers with language as the vehicle but
>> >your Sitting Bullshit routine about the indians is dead wrong.The
>> >Indian tribes weren't native to this soil. They came across what is now
>> >the Aleutian Islands from Asia.
>>

>> It's not about whether or not the company wants to offer agents that
>> speak languages other than English.  My point was, why do I have to
>> press anything to get English.  The default should be English with
>> options for other language speakers to press buttons. <
>

>#1- The Nextel/Sprint customer base is GLOBAL

The wireless networks they maintain are limited to North America,
since Sprint uses PCS technology and Nextel uses iDEN the phones are
pretty much useless in the rest of the world, which is mostly GSM
(T-Mobile and Cingular use it here).   Granted,  Sprint has a global
IP infrastructure, but that's not what we're talking about.

>#2- Your state was originally Mexico so you are the descendant of
>immigrants.

My state was originally Mexico, yes.   And I am the descendant of
immigrants, but the two have nothing to do with each other.  The thing
is, Texas has not been a part of Mexico for about 150 years.

>#3- Regardless of what language people speak they still spend money.

Ah-ha!  Now we are getting somewhere.

> My
>family came to America in 1906, and didn't speak English right off the
>boat. It took years. My great-grandmother never spoke English. Should
>they have shipped her back, and just my grandmother, aunts, and uncles
>(who were kids at that time) to fend for themselves?

Of course not, but I'm sure when your family came over they did so
legally.  They also had full intentions of assimilating into American
culture and learning the language, yes?

The problem I see is that the modern day Mexican immigrants have no
intention of doing either.  In fact, too many times on a Friday when
payday is (I guess) you see lines of them at the Western Union counter
shipping all that hard earned money back to Mexico.  This damages the
economy.  When it comes full circle, the money most likely goes to
coyotes that bring more illegal's over.

>Graham, I am so Conservative I make Sean Hannity seem like Ted Kennedy,
>but conservatism does not mean discrimination. Conservatism does not
>mean English only need apply. It takes most immigrants a generation to
>adapt to America.

This really isn't about a conservative/liberal debate.  It's not about
discrimination, racism, and all those other nasty words that tend to
scare folks away from reasonable discussion of this issue.

I think it boils down to:

1> Enforcing the immigration laws that already exist, so that all
immigrants be treated fairly.  Just because we share a border with
Mexico does not give their citizens any special treatment.

2> Making immigrants WANT to be a part of our society, not just leech
from it.  I can't tell you how many places I visit daily where NO
English speaker is available (often these are customers).  Why do I
have to adapt?  The burden of bridging the language barrier should be
on them, not me.  This includes ballots written in language other than
English too.

>Border jumping infuriates me to all ends of the earth but not because
>they don't speak my language.

As I said, it's the attitude that I witness first hand on a daily
basis that makes me angry with this whole border problem.  What I see
is many of them having a sense of entitlement to come here and set-up
camp with no intention of assimilating.  They intend to re-take Texas,
which was lost to them with The Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo some 150
years ago.

I'm not happy that our government has to resort to a fence along the
border either. I'm just glad 'something' is being done and the problem
is finally center stage.

> Unions and people who expect union wages
>are to blame.

That came flying out of nowhere!  Labor unions are not very popular
here, the only union workers I come in contact with are some
electricians and phone employees with CWA.

> I am out the door now but when I come back I will expand
>on it.

Looking forward to it.

--

-Graham