Re: RS232 on RJ45 (RS-232D)

> Thanks.  It turns out the boss ordered some cables today from American
> Video Equipment, before I got to submit my order.  I'll try it his way
> first.  What I plan on doing is connecting my laptop right to the cash
> register first with a USB to Serial interface and use Hyperterm to
> make sure the data is clean.  Then I'll use the laptop at the DVR end
> after the connections are done to verify data before hooking up to the
> DVR.  I'm new to POS integration so this is gonna be fun.

AVE makes VSI Pro (among others) interface which they configure for virtually every cash register you're likely to see.  You usually
need the VSI PRO and a cable, plus a data converter.  The converters mostly cost the same as the cables.  The VSI PRO is more but
it's a no-brainer to set up.

Here's a chart of register makes and models with the AVE parts.
http://www.americanvideoequipment.com/technical_support/vsi_compatibility.htm

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass