Re: ADT alarm

Sir, this is quite easy to do, however, you will need the installers
code to reprogram. By typing in at the keypad * then 8 then the
installer code, you will be in low level installer programming mode.
Assuming you do manage to get in, you will need the programming sheets
for your version of the panel to do anything at all ( there are
literally hundreds of settings inside that panel)

What you have to do then is turn the "TLM" off (telephone line
monitor). This is in section 015 and is disabled by turning the 7 light
"off". While in installer programming mode, turn off the dialers as
well ( turn off light 2 in section 380 ).

Your major stumbling block will be getting the installer code. Don't
count on ADT to help. And it's not likely the installer code used by
ADT locally to me would work in your panel either. You will probably
have to default the panel and hope the board isn't "locked" in
software. Then you will have to totally reprogram the board for
"local", non-monitored use.

As you may have gathered by now, these panels are not targeted by
manufacturers at the DIY market, and there is zero support at that
level too. Pretty much everything is stacked against the owner of the
alarm unless you want to use the services of a local installer / alarm
company. Although monitoring IS a vital part of your alarm system (and
something you really shouldn't skip), most of them will try to lock you
into a long term contract for monitoring services even when you fully
own the system ! This is very much a closed, self serving industry !! I
dislike it too; and it's unfortunate, but that's just the way it is !!

You might end up having to shop around for a company that will give you
a reasonable monitoring rate ($12 up to $20 monthly) without any sort
of long term committment, just to get your panel up and running. With
luck, you might find an installer just starting in the business who can
set it up for you the way you want for a straight fee.

Your other option, and a good one, is to simply go out on the internet
to the companies that cater to DIY's and buy a new board to replace the
old one. It will come with all the manuals and instructions you need,
and with a little practice, you should be able to set it up the way you
want. Once you sound like you know what you are doing to the point you
can ask more technical questions, the response to your questions on the
newsgroup will likely be a bit more helpful as well

R.H.Campbell
Home Security Metal Products
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
www.homemetal.com