Re: RS232 on RJ45 (RS-232D)

It might be necessary to get pin-out's of both devices and be sure the
adapter and Cat 5 is wired correctly.

Some Cat 5 to D 25 or D 9 pin adapters come with the wires loose and you can
arrange them any way you need to.

Hopefully you have the instruction manuals for the cash register and the DVR
*and* these manuals say which pin is what for their serial ports.

In some cases you would run the wires "straight through" connection to
connection (like computer to modem), in other cases you would need to
"cross" the connections and tie some wires together such as computer to
computer wiring. Following is some info...

http://www.airborn.com.au/rs232.html