Re: RS232 on RJ45 (RS-232D)

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 08:48:54 -0700, "Bill" <bill190nospam@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>It might be necessary to get pin-out's of both devices and be sure the
>adapter and Cat 5 is wired correctly.
>
>Some Cat 5 to D 25 or D 9 pin adapters come with the wires loose and you can
>arrange them any way you need to.
>
>Hopefully you have the instruction manuals for the cash register and the DVR
>*and* these manuals say which pin is what for their serial ports.
>
>In some cases you would run the wires "straight through" connection to
>connection (like computer to modem), in other cases you would need to
>"cross" the connections and tie some wires together such as computer to
>computer wiring. Following is some info...
>
>http://www.airborn.com.au/rs232.html

Thanks.  It turns out the boss ordered some cables today from American
Video Equipment, before I got to submit my order.  I'll try it his way
first.  What I plan on doing is connecting my laptop right to the cash
register first with a USB to Serial interface and use Hyperterm to
make sure the data is clean.  Then I'll use the laptop at the DVR end
after the connections are done to verify data before hooking up to the
DVR.  I'm new to POS integration so this is gonna be fun.

--

-Graham
(remove the double e's to email)