Re: Why?

Crash Gordon wrote:
> If we can we do. Problem is; even if the contractor remembers to schedule us
> on door-install-day it means we have to sit there and wait for the door to
> go in, put the contact in before they put the casings on. This could mean
> we'd be there all day just to put a few contacts on. The timing is bad.

You're right, contacts on Double hung windows is easy, during prewire.
Casements, I only put the switches on, but not the magnets, because
they usually get broken off. ( I mount the contacts under the bottom
moulding so they wont be visible) For doors however, I find that the
following works most of the time. I leave slack either up above the
header, in the attic, or the basement ( the wire folded in a Z shape,
so that it can be pulled out, but can't fall out...).with the wire
coming out approximately where the contact is going to be drilled. I
leave about 6 inches of wire and I'll use a yellow or orange wire, so
it's noticable. I have stringed yellow or orange tags that I attach to
the wire though a knot in the wire.

I write on the tag in big black letters something to the following
effect:

Do not pull on, bury or crush this wire. When the door is installed,
call ABC alarm company @ ***-***-****. Any molding installed will have
to be removed.

Usually it's the homeowner who calls me with the day the door is going
to be installed. But I don't necessarliy show up on that day, because I
expect my instructions have been followed.. If no one calls me, I'll
usually be in touch and ask about it eventually. Then, I just get there
and start digging in the wall and removing molding until I can get at
the wire and mount the switch. Then I walk away and let whoever ......
fix it. It's not my problem, is the way I look at it. By the way, when
I'm working for a builder or a homeowner, there's a statement in my
agreement that the price does not include time and material required to
"fix" broken contacts or wires, etc or find burried wires.

I use the GRI stubby contacts with screw terminals with the rare earth
magnets.