Re: Why?

I soved the problem a different way.  We installed the contacts during
the prewire.  I'd leave a service loop in the wall below the window.
Doors we usually wired via the basement so the service loop would be
between the floor joists.  Upper sashes have headers above them so we'd
push extra cable into the attic space before soldering.

In addition to using heat shrink instead of tape, consider staggering
the splices by making one lead 2" longer than the other.  That way, if
you accidentally overlook a solder point and it eventually pokes
through the tape or shrink wrap, it won't likely short against
anything.

Regards,
Robert L Bass
Bass Home Electronics