Re: Free Alarm Monitoring

"Jen...tel" <poleclimber@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:1163787567.641686.317940@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> So let me get this right,
> NextAlarm raises their rates for current customers, and gives away free
> monitoring to everyone else?  It's free to the one who signs up but
> it's paid for by the current customers who rates went up to pay for
> this.
>
> I've used NextAlarm, I've dealt with them in Nevada and let me tell you
> this:
> I Know Central Stations
> Central Station owners were friends of mine,
> and, You NextAlarm are NO Central Station.

They don't say they are either.  They make use of some rather interesting
wording in their "FAQ":

"Our central stations are UL-Listed, ..."
"...security systems monitored by NextAlarm.com utilize the customer's
pre-existing telephone line or broadband Internet connection as the primary
communication link to one of our central stations."
"NextAlarm.com uses fully UL-listed central stations, ..."

It's pretty clear to me that all they are is simply a monitoring reseller.
They don't operate their own CS at all.

Their "Terms of Service Agreement" looks pretty "hokey" as well.  Everything
is on the shoulders of the DIYer.

> They also lied about the permits. Maybe you don't need it, but there
> are places you may need them.  To tell people absolutely that NO PERMIT
> is required is a bold Face LIE by NextAlarm.

Providing this kind of false information is completely unprofessional.  It's
also contrary to the BBB Online Reliability Program.  This is just a
thought, but has anyone bothered to contact NextAlarm to advise them of
their error?

> Just a thought, could they plan on making money by selling your email
> address to interested parties?

You'd have to review their privacy policy to be sure.