Re: Free Alarm Monitoring

"A.J." <aj@xxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:cm67h.324273$5R2.110380@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> https://nextalarm.com/pr/2006110801.jsp
>
> Great for the DIY type . . . . . . . .

I spoke to the alarm rep from the Vancouver Police Department about this.
I'm given to understand (from reading this page) that the customer will
receive a text message on his cell phone that gives him the details of the
alarm (intrusion, fire, water, etc.) and then he's required to contact the
appropriate emergency services from there.  My experience with Telus and
Rogers text messaging is that there is often a lag between when the message
is sent and when it's received that could be up to thirty minutes or more
depending on your location (I'm often working in parkades and the basements
of buildings where the sprinkler rooms and electrical vaults are located).
The VPD rep told me that a call from a monitoring station has a much higher
priority in the response queue than a homeowner who's calling in an alarm
that could be 30 to 150 minutes old.  In addition, an annual permit _is_
required for every alarm system in the City of Vancouver.  It's not
expensive (on the order of $15.00 or so per year).  Before someone decides
to employ the services of an agency such as "NextAlarm", "911Monitoring" or
any alarm monitoring service, you should check with the AHJ.  "Free
monitoring" usually means "no monitoring" unless, of course, you decide to
also employ an independent guard service (where you have to pay a monthly
standby charge as well as a "per visit" fee).

Before Bass gets his nickers in a knot, this isn't a slam against DIY.  The
fastest police response to a professionally monitored alarm is gained when a
concerned neighbours calls who's in a position to actually verify the fact
that the premise is being burglarized and the perps are still on site.  That
individual is also in the best position to not only identify the culprits,
but can probably provide the authorities with a description and license
number of the vehicle they happen to be driving.  This is also why it's a
good idea to ensure you have an outdoor mounted siren on a monitored alarm
system and that you get together with your neighbours to form a "Block
Watch" community.

My two cents.