Re: Free Alarm Monitoring

I was refering to a user permit, not a permit like a building installation
permit...those are not required anywhere here, except commercial fire

"Robert L Bass" <robertbass1@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
|> Yep..same here permit required in
| > most cities, monitored & local alarm
| > systems.
|
| This varies somewhat from place to place.  In CT where I worked for 24
years most towns required a permit for wired installations.
| We mainly did wired systems so we pulled permits.  A few towns did not
require a permit though.  The interesting thing was the
| reaction from electrical inspectors while submitting the permit
application.  They were often surprised that I bothered because most
| alarm companies didn't pull permits on a residential installation unless
it was new construction.

| It's the same with homeowners doing DIY jobs.  If it's not new
construction most never pull a permit.  Where there's an alarm
| licensing rule in effect, usually you must pull a permit and these laws
are starting to proliferate due to the deluge of false
| alarms.  Note: The vast majority of false alarms come from professionally
installed systems because the vast majority of systems are
| professionally installed.  To the best of my knowledge no one keeps track
of how many systems are professionally installed versus
| DIY.
|
| Some towns require an alarm permit (different from an electrical
installation permit) only if the alarm is monitored.  Others
| require that all audible or silent alarms have a permit.  Note 2: I'm
using the term, "permit" interchangeably with "license" though
| the two are distinct.  Technically, you get a permit to do the
installation and/or a license to use the alarm.

| In virtually every place in the country (except St Louis County, Mo), you
do not need a trade license to install a burglar alarm
| system in your own home or business.  The same is true of commercial fire
alarms with certain exceptions.  If it's a place of public
| assembly, some communities require a licensed tech do the fire alarm.
Likewise, a professional engineer or a licensed fire alarm
| technician may be required to perform routine inspections of a commercial
fire alarm in many locations.  But for the typical
| residential installation, including combined burglary / fire alarm
systems, no license is required to DIY the installation.  Where
| an alarm *use* license is required, this also does not require a
license -- only some paperwork and usually a small, annual fee.