Re: Fire Alarm System Inspections. How and how much?

Before all the licensing and Nicet requirements, I use to do fire
inspections for 200+ customers in my area. I followed NFPA guidelines to the
letter, before anyone else in my area did. I charged a decent rate, $150
flat fee for a small daycare, ALF, etc...$300+ for an apt complex or small
office complex...life was good.

After I tallyed all the local fees, licensing, Nicet requirements and
courses, etc...I decided that it was a huge waste of time trying to keep
this going. I would have to triple my nominal $150 fee just to stay in
business. Plus all the courses and useless continuing education classes that
never end, made me feel like I was going back to school for the rest of my
life. So I stopped doing fire altogether.

Shortly afterwards, I stopped doing new burg installations, in favor of
takeovers. Which makes more economic sense. Builders in my area expected me
to do full prewires on new construction for $300, in hope that the homeowner
would give me a bread crumb and have me complete the alarm installation for
a $500 fixed fee. Then I find out the builders are reselling the $300
prewire for $1200-1500, and $3000-5000 for a completed system direct to the
homeowner. So until a builder is required to carry an alarm license on such
an upsell, I refuse to do them anymore.

Afterall, licensed electrical contractors are now required to have a
seperate fire license. For years these guys gave the industry a huge black
eye with their shoddy installation practices. And even with these new
guidelines, most electrical contractors in my area just don't have a clue.
But, they have a license that says they do...go figure. I believe that if
one person is required to have a license, so should they all. I mean all
employees, service techs, sales perople...let's clean up this mess.

Companies like Ranger Amercian, though they do excellent work for the most
part, hurt the industry with their low ball prewires. Their employees earn
close to minimum wage, no overtime, and must work 3 Saturdays a month. Most
of them are foriegn immigrants, They are forced to drive their own vehicles,
and are poorly compensated. I feel Ranger takes advantage of their
situation, but that's my opinion. I believe that the state labor board
already fined Ranger Amercian numerous times for violating state labor laws,
but yet it still goes on...

Thank you for letting me vent a bit.

Jim Rojas