Re: alarm service contract time length question in CA

Robert L Bass wrote:
>> Where does the hostility about blaming someone
>> for not reading a contract come from here?

no hostility just the facts, mam.

> You're discussing an alarm company doing something misleading with a bunch of people who sell alarms.  Some of these folks are
> honest and will offer you good advice.  Others regard you (the customer) as prey.

Is that really the way you see them as prey?  I always thought so with
your BBB record as proof.
http://www.bbbwestflorida.org/commonreport.html?bid=41001663

>> I thought this site was to help out answering
>> questions or helping people out...

or kicks and giggles

> Some of the people who post in this newsgroup provide useful information to end users.

and some like Bass just want to sell parts and can't get a license or
sell monitoring because they are not qualified to get licensing.

>> I am a big enough boy to handle my own,this situation
>> here looks like a F***ING scam to me,the issue here
>> is that I NEVER signed ANY contracts with this company,
>> I have only signed 1 thing from them and its from a tech
>> checking out a problem with a motion sensor and me
>> signing that he was there doing the work...

I bet you let your customers out of their contracts every day, NOT.

> In that case you're under no obligation to pay for monitoring.  Tell them you didn't sign it and you refuse to pay. If they persist
> or threaten you will collection, contact your department of consumer protection.  Also keep copies of all correspondence with them.
> Send copies, along with a formal complaint to the licensing agency.

don't forget to tell him about the BBB

>> I bought this business from someone else and
>> only spoke with someone over the phone about
>> putting the account in my name..

there you go

> If you bought a *business* and the previous owner signed you can be responsible for the contract.  However, if you only purchased
> the assets of the business -- not the business name and so forth, you are not obligated.  Also, most alarm contracts say that the
> alarm company can assign it's obligations under the contract but the end user cannot.  Some courts have held that such provisions
> are too one-sided and have tossed them.

show me.

Others have not.

bingo

>> I NEVER was given anything to read or sign, any NEVER
>> agreed to any contract over the phone...
>
> That wouldn't matter anyway.  Alarm contracts require a signature.  A phone conversation wouldn't obligate you in any case.
>
>> If I knew there was a 5 year contract they wanted I
>> could have chosen from over a dozen other Alarm Co's
>> in my area.

live and learn

> And well you should.  Tell them to produce a contract with your signature if they want to do business with you.  While you're at it,
> check to make sure these people carry any required license.  Many don't and will leave you alone if you start to make noise.

again with the licensing talk from an unlicensed hack