Re: alarm service contract time length question in CA

Iven said:

>What would that mean if you used an Alarm service that DID NOT DISCLOSE
>anything about a 5 year contract and after you cancel service tell you you're
>obligated to pay the remaining balance. This is happening to me right now,I
>never signed and wouldnt have signed for that long because my building lease
>was for 3 years only and I'd NEVER commit to a term that long for 5yrs in the
>first place.They even mailed me a supposed copy of the contract and in very
>small print it says 5 years. Someone also printed my name under the signature
>that isnt my writing.

Is it your signature on the contract?  I'm not asking whether you printed
your name or not, I'm asking whether you signed it.  If so, you're stuck
with it.

You're saying they did not disclose the length of the contract, but you
admit it says five years in the contract.  If you signed something without
reading it, that's too damned bad.  Bet you won't make that mistake again.

You're a big boy now.  Your alarm company has no obligation to hold your
hand and verbally explain each term in the contract to you.  Since you
didn't read the length of the contract, you probably also didn't read the
part about how the alarm company's liability is minimal in the event you
get robbed and the alarm doesn't work.  If you had gotten robbed, no doubt
you'd be whining about how they didn't tell you they're not liable for your
losses.

Read the contract before you sign it.  If you don't understand it, hire a
lawyer to explain it to you.  Now, if you really need a magnifying glass to
read the part where it says five years, maybe you have a point.  But if a
judge can read it, and you signed it, you're screwed.

- badenov