Re: Ademco Panels?

>> ... rolling codes don't appreciably increase
>> the security of sensors...
>
> Who's opinion? Yours, documented or proven
> by yourself?

He's right about this, Mike.  To understand why, assume some intruder has
the knowledge and hardware to emulate a window transmitter but can't
overcome a rolling code.  The would-be thief can only send the equivalent of
"sensor open", "sensor close" and "sensor tamper" signals.  None of those
will prevent or cancel an alarm.

If he can emulate a wireless keyfob he can shut off the alarm, but those
units do use rolling code (Ademco/Honeywell calls it encrypted) technology.

>> Some people would say that rolling codes
>> are just marketing crap dreamed up by the
>> car alarm companies.  I'd be interested in
>> seeing some proof that residential alarm
>> systems have been defeated by duplicated
>> keyfob signals.  My gut feeling is that this
>> just doesn't happen.
>
> Guess again smartass- I've seen it done by
> perps with a "Board" full of deivces that they
> drive thru neighborhoods with.

It's probably safe to assume that there are *some* perps somewhere doing
this though I can't say I've seen evidence of it happening.  As such, I
believe rolling codes for RF controllers are a good idea.  However, I agree
with the anonymous poster that they're not necessary for alarm sensors.

>> As far as putting batteries in Ademco wireless
>> transmitters to piss off ADI...apparently, you
>> don't understand serial numbers.
>
> It's a joke jerkoff, I understand the technology
> more than a two bit jackshit like you does.

That's between you and the anonymous guy hiding behind an alias.

>> If the receiver picks up a signal from an
>> unprogrammed serial number, the system
>> simply ignores it.  That's the whole point
>> behind serial numbers.

Correct.

>> I don't like the variable pricing structure...

That's just competition.  We get better prices on Ademco than most other
dealers because we buy so much of it.  If you want better pricing you have
to support the product and sell it.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass