Re: Ademco Panels?

Mike Sokoly said:

>> Ademco wireless is excellent, they offer a wide range of sensors, and they
>> have a pretty solid panel line.
>No Jim- They wireless technology is also 10-20 years behind.
>Rotating/rolling codes?
>Not in Ademco or Napco Stuff.
>Want to piss off your ADI Distributor? Look to see if they have an
>Ademco System to protect the store. Then go to the shelf and put the
>batteries in a couple of transmitters and close up the boxes again. Wait
>till they ARM for the nite!

First of all, Ademco's wireless works extremely well.

Second, the 5881EN receivers support "rolling code" encrypted keyfobs.  I
think it would be a little silly to have rolling codes for door/window
transmitters, since there's no way to resync them without a service call.
Plus, rolling codes don't appreciably increase the security of sensors,
since an intruder's problem is to block the legitimate alarm signal from
reaching the receiver, not to transmit the correct  disarm signal.

Some people would say that rolling codes are just marketing crap dreamed up
by the car alarm companies.  I'd be interested in seeing some proof that
residential alarm systems have been defeated by duplicated keyfob signals.
My gut feeling is that this just doesn't happen.

As far as putting batteries in Ademco wireless transmitters to piss off
ADI...apparently, you don't understand serial numbers.  If the receiver
picks up a signal from an unprogrammed serial number, the system simply
ignores it.  That's the whole point behind serial numbers.

I don't like the variable pricing structure, or the fact they'll sell to
end users.  But the equipment works, and it doesn't cause trouble.  That's
more than you can say for some other manufacturers.

- badenov