Re: Ultrasonic Sensors

> To anyone still following this thread- Trenching
> is serious business...

Do you really think anyone is still following this thread?

> It can be done with proper planning, but
> significant risks do exist. To deny the risks
> is foolish.

The same can be said of driving one's car.  However, walk-behind trenchers
are probably safer since they don't approach highway speeds.  :^)

> Can you? Probably.
>
> Should you? Only you can decide after being
> presented with all the pertinent information...

Fortunately, all pertinent information, including risks and operating
instructions, is made available by most reputable rental agencies.
Trenchers are like any other power equipment.  You need to exercise proper
care in operating them so you don't get hurt.  Since you'll be digging above
power lines and such it's wise to "call before you dig".  Contrary to what
one ill-informed individual has said, there's no fee for having someone come
out and mark the area for underground utilities.  Low voltage security
cables don't need to be buried as deeply as high voltage cables so the risk
of hitting one with the trencher is minimal if you use common sense.

> Only a fool, or a person with something to gain
> would say it's "simple" or "without risk"...

On the contrary, it acually is a simple task operating trencher.  Life, as a
rule, entails risk.

> I love to save money, but if I didn't have proper
> experience, I would find a friend who had some
> experience and utilize his/her expertise...

DIYers tend to be self-reliant -- ask for advice if you don't understand
something.  While I make no effort to hide my financial interest in
encouraging folks to consider DIY, the other gentleman (who hides behind a
fictitious name like most of the people who pollute this newsgroup), doesn't
admit that his real reason for trying to argue against DIY is personal
animus.  That shines through in the belligerant, vulgar talk which peppers
his posts.

> Make friends with the guy at the rental place...

This can best be accomplished by renting from him.  :^)

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics