Re: Ultrasonic Sensors

> Are you willing to put the statement "there's
> no high tension cable within the typical 18"
> depth he would use for low voltage signal
> cables." in writing, signed and notarized?
> If so, send it to the guy who sounds like he doesn't know a/c from dc and
> tell him to
> trench away...

Were you born this stupid or did you have to work at it?

> Not only is my story 100% verifiable...

Su-u-ure it is.  Uh-huh.

> since there were at least 8 people present...

Have any of them snap-rolled a 737?

> but there are many instances of electrical
> "explosions" throwing rocks, dirt, and
> other debris when a 3-phase is suddenly
> sent to ground.

I didn't say that if your fictitious story had been true there would not
have been an explosion.  However, even if it had not been a lie it would not
have thrown rocks 75 feet away.

> You're trying to argue with facts, Robert.

That never stopped you.

> No, the tractor didn't come off the ground,
> or even move...

You obviously didn't catch the reference, either because you never read FO's
ridiculous stories of snap-rolling airliners and levitating ladders or
because you're too dense to see it.

> The energy sent rocks out of the
> trench, along with pieces of what
> used to be the dig chain.

Nope.  I've seen what happens when a metal object shorts a high voltage,
underground line.  There's a loud bang and a puff of smoke.  A few inches of
the metal is typically vaporized, along with some of the cable.  There's
nothing like an explosive force that would send rocks and bits of chain
flying 75 feet away.  Part of that is due to the amount of energy involved.
Part is due to what happens to the metal device (in your silly story a
cutting chain) which comes into contact with the conductors.  It welds in
place and vaporizes.  It doesn't burst into pieces since there's nothing
inside it to create explosive gas.

Do you know why trees sometimes explode when lightning strikes them?  It's
the water and sap (no, not you; the other kind) inside the wood rapidly
turning to vapor.  If the wood was old and dry like houshold lumber it would
simply ignite -- like a house.  No moisture inside = no explosion.
Transformers are filled with an oily substance which helps transfer heat
away from the windings.  When the secondaries are shorted the oil heats up
so fast it causes an explosion.  I saw a 10 or 12 foot tall steel sliding
board at the end of a pier in Ocean Gate, NJ take a direct lightning hit.
Some of the metal was vaporized.  Some turned to a cinder.  None of it was
sent flying because there was no explosion.  The wooden pier beneath the
slide suffered a different type of damage.  Several of the wood pilings,
which were water-logged (pun not intended) burst open like firecrackers.

> What you seem to be failing to undertsand
> is that the little walk-behind trenchers are
> much more dangerous to an operator than
> the riders...

What you fail to understand (among oh, so many other things) is that the
trenchers don't reach high power lines and that they are grounded better
than the operator.

> Why?  Because your dumb penny-pinching
> ass is grounded when walking behind one...

I don't know about you but I don't drag my behind on the ground.  I also
understand (and you clearly don't) that electricity takes the path of least
resistance to ground.  My sneakers or work boots offer far better insulation
than the metal trencher which is below grade (ie, grounded).

Let me know if you need help with some of this.  It may be a little
complicated for you.

> regardless of whether you are wearing
> rubber-soled shoes or not. With a rider,
> you at least have the option of jumping
> clear of the energized machine...

With a rider you (well not you personally; I mean someone who actually has
done this) also have a much greater chance of hitting a high power line due
to the greater depth of the trench it digs.

> When you are HOLDING ON to the damned
> thing standing on the ground, your ass is DONE
> if you hit a 600 VAC feeder line, and probably
> even hitting one or both hot legs of the 220V
> house drop. Period. End of story...

An electrician friend of mine was asked to install ground lights on the
front lawn of our church several years ago.  In the process he did just
that -- hit a high voltage line -- with a post hole digger.  There was a
loud bang as the transformer on thepole at the street exploded.  There was
also a puff of smoke from the hole.  A few inches of the post hole digger
were gone.  The electrician?  He was fine; didn't even get a tingle.

> Ever hear of DEW...

The Distant Early Warning system?  Sure, it was installed decades ago but
they probably didn't use trenchers.

> you know-it-all fat slob Felon JO MF?

Every time you lose an argument you resort to that sort of chldish gutter
talk.

> A common rental walk-behind unit will
> trench 3' deep...

The ones I used to use would only go 24' or 30".  They didn't have an oblong
chain like the new models.  Instead there was a large, rotating disk.
However, if you had actually used one of them (even once) you would know
that the depth is adjustable.

> - I know, since I just rented one last Fall...

And yet you survived?  See, I told you.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass