Re: NFPA 72 test

I wouldn't consider a large number of the technicians currently certified
through ASTTBC "properly trained" either.  I think it's a matter for the
employer to sponsor an environment where upgrading and continuing education
is not only encouraged, but rewarded.  For independent dealers, one of the
better introductions to the field is offered through the FireLite course.
Yes, it's biased towards their products, but I think you'll find a number of
systems out there have many features in common.

I've been reviewing the information regarding NICET and can't find much in
the way of benefit over the current training provided through ASTTBC and
BCIT.  I'd like to see more in the way of "hands on" courses in
troubleshooting, proper installation, and testing being offered.  There
currently isn't anything like this available (at least in BC).

If you're going to properly service a fire alarm system, you have to start
with the specific installation manual.  If you've never worked on the system
before, you have to make certain that all the wiring is routed into the can
and terminated correctly.  In most cases the manufacturer has laid this out,
along with a detailed list of smoke detectors that are compatible with the
control and the all important battery calculation.  Of course the manual
won't address specific code issues which the examination "Captain Video" is
required to undertake will probably try to address.  If the test is not
"open book", then the questions should focus on common acceptable practice
and some basic knowledge, not "in-depth" chapter and verse.  It won't hurt
to study the codes in the local jurisdiction as well.  Vancouver (for
instance) has it's own building code (called the Vancouver Building Bylaw).
There are some unique differences between it and the BC Building Code.

Regards,

Frank