Re: Nicet Training

This has been a contentious issue, nationwide.  I agree with you and it
seems that the best method is an apprenticeship program where 4 years
of OJT is augmented with 4 years of classroom training.  Unfortunately,
states are the driving force here and they range from no requirements
(ie. California) to a 4-year apprenticeship (ie. Oregon).

One of the most eye-opening events in my life is when I ventured
outside of Oregon, in my post-Navy life and found a wide range of
requirements coast-to-coast.  I had thought that all states required
anyone working on an electrical system to be a licensed electrician.
Au contrare mon frere!

In my humble opinion, and at this point in time, NICET offers the best
solution nationwide.  Again I say, two qualifications should be the
rule locally: licensed electrician and (pick one) NICET certification
or factory trained and certified.