Re: Nicet Training

Mike Baker said:

>This has been a contentious issue, nationwide.  I agree with you and it
>seems that the best method is an apprenticeship program where 4 years
>of OJT is augmented with 4 years of classroom training.

That's the IBEW model, apprenticeship with work experience and classroom
training.  Unfortunately, the electricians figure that a week or two of
fire alarm training means they're qualified to do fire.  By the way, are
electricians exempt from NICET certification requirements?

I'm not sure you could build a curriculum of four years just on fire
alarms, though, so your 4+4 plan might not be workable.

NICET is supposed to have work experience requirements as part of the
certification process.  I gather you don't think this has been a success.
:-)

- badenov