Re: Nicet Training

I was trained on the dark side in merit shops where the same 4 + 4
program is used as at IBEW.  The journeyman winds up a well rounded
electrician (pun intended) with additional training in fire alarm,
cctv, access control, data/voice, amplified paging, FO, and so on.
These "electives" are covered in the 2nd and 3rd year. Each elective is
10 weeks long.  By attending a couple of additional core-division
classes, journeymen wind up with an associates degree in industrial
technology.

I realize now that Oregon is the exception to the rule.  The rule being
technicians not necessarily having the training, nor required to.
Because of state's autonomy, there is no straightforward solution to
this, except maybe to use the bully pulpit :)