Re: State licensing questions

"Mr.Double-sided tape" <alarminstall@xxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:1141449584.948748.123380@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> Let's start with this for our resident Floridians Norm Mugford, Bob
> 2Worthy, and Jim Rojas
> In the SDM Marketplace there's a company that advertises Florida alarm
> licenses for sale. Can one really just BUY the license? No schooling?
> No test?

Not exactly. A company needs a "qualifying agent" (license holder). A
license holder needs a company to qualify or he/she must make their license
inactive. When one is saying "license for sale", they are actually looking
to put their license with a company that needs a license to operate. (They
need a job.) The person must be an employee w/ check writing ability. They
are personally and financially responsible for the actions of the company
that he/she is licensing. They must oversee all field work. This license
holder must make application to the DBPR and the process is regulated
through the ECLB. To become licensed, there is a whole application deal,
requiring financials, credit checks, insurances, bond, definately a test,
proof of supervisory experience requirements, continueing education, etc.
One cannot just go to a store and buy a license.

> Anyone have knowledge of reciprocity between States?

Some may have, however, there always seems to be problems. Florida tried and
was willing to reciprocate with other states as long as the other states had
equal or greater licensing and educational requirements. That is where it
would fall apart. The Board would request info on an applicant and the other
state wouldn't cooperate. Or a Florida license holder would go to another
state and they wouldn't reciprocate. There seems to always be a turf or
money issue. Most states would be hard pressed to meet Florida's licensing
and continueing education requirements.

> Are the Level I through IV certificates valid in every state?

No

> For Everyone else:
> What are bottom line requirements in your state?
> Schooling? yes? No? How many hours?
> Testing? etc.
>
> IMO we need either national licensing

Feds aren't going to get into the local licensing business.

>or reciprocity between all
> states.

What about the states that don't have licensing laws now? Are those
companies simply going to be able to go to a neighboring state and work
because their home state doesn't require a  license?

> Thank GOD driver's licenses are not treated in the same manner as alarm
> licenses.

Come to Florida and say that. A little old lady that stands about 4 foot 3
inches, and has used the subway or bus her entire life retires to Florida
when she is 80 and the first thing she does is go out a buys a Grand
Marquis. You would swear to God that there is no one in the front seat when
you see that car going down the road, even though it is only doing about 18
miles an hour.