Re: ADT Essential Wireless Package

> Because you're signing a 5 year contract which, regardless of what the
> salesperson says, is fully collectible if you move, get hit by a bus,
> divorce, etc. It will automatically renew for 1 year periods after that,
> and if you don't call to cancel within a 30-day window, you will be on the
> hook for the additional time as well. They will increase your price DURING
> the contract term (read it carefully) until you're near $45/mo. The amount
> you're ultimately going to pay for the equipment and service will be
> roughly double what you would pay if you had the same equipment and
> monitoring provided by a "local" company.
>
> I used to work for this company. I swear by their in-house Commercial
> division, which does top-notch work. Their Residential division, which is
> mainly handled by contracted installation companies, leaves something to
> be desired.

In my prior post to this thread I only addressed questions about hardware.
Although the previous poster and I disagree on many issues, he is pretty
much bang on in the above.  The only things that might vary from what
"Stanley" has said are the length of the contract term, the amount of
advance warning you're required to give in order to cancel and the length of
the automatic renewal term.

Also, although the standard ADT contract does state that they can raise the
fee during the term of the agreement, you do have the right to cancel if you
don't accept the higher rates.

In short, if it's ADT "Corporate" you'll probably get a professional
installation and competent service.  If it's one of their so-called
"authorized dealers" watch out!  Those have been the subject of thousands of
complaints and of lawsuits by attorneys general in numerous states.  The
"dealer" programs from ADT, Protection 1, Monitronix and a few others are
rife with problems.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass