Re: ADT Essential Wireless Package

>> ADT's current US corporate residential plan
>> provides the equipment as an outright purchase.
>> The customer owns the equipment once they
>> pay the installation invoice.
>
> It's worth noting that ADT's contract also warns
> customers that the equipment they purchase
> may not be usable by other companies...

This is better than what many local companies do.  It is common practice to
lock the programming so that the customewr cannot make changes.  The problem
is that all too many local companies and "authorized dealers" refuse to
unlock the system even after the monitoring contract is expired.  This
prevents the customer from usding his own system which he has already paid
for unless he continues using the installing firm's services or pays a fee
for the privilege of having access to his own equipment.

> So, changing companies may mean buying
> some new equipment.

True.  For example, a customer might have to replace the master control
panel.  The Vista-20P panel, one of the more popular models, retails for
around $118.  If the local firm locks the board in a certain manner it will
need to be replaced, same as with ADT.  The difference is that at least ADT
Corporate warns the customer.  Most local firms and authorized dealers do
not.

> And, the monthly monitoring fee is generally
> significantly higher than that charged by other
> reputable local companies.  Even before
> those inflation adjustments.

Many local companies are now charging just as much as ADT even though they
have nothing like ADT's central monitoring network.

FWIW, I have nothing to gain or lose in this discussion since I don't sell
installed systems and I don't offer monitoring service.  I sell parts online
to DIYers so the perennial war between ADT reps and non-ADT reps (many of
whom for some reason opt to hide behind phony names like "Badenov") is of no
consequence to me.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass