Re: CCTV Hookup to PC?

Impalpable wrote:
> Either PCI or USB will work.  Both types will capture at a similar
> quality.  I am assuming all you want to do is capture the video.  Some
> CCTV systems come with a web option that you can use to connect to the
> system over the internet for control and recording.  I just helped set
> up a samsung system with this option.  Very nice to be able to view and
> capture from the web.  But the short answer to your question is no it
> doesn't need to be made for CCTV.  One thing to think about is that
> outputs the CCTV system has.  Most I have seen have BNC connections
> which won't hook to a normal capture card.  Something like this will
> work for you in that case, but if it is connected to a Time lapse
> recorder they usually have s-video or coax outputs that a normal card
> can use.
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/4-CHANNEL-PCI-DVR-CARD-BNC-TO-RCA-ADAPTORS-CCTV-NEW_W0QQitemZ5857315798QQcategoryZ60839QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

BNC/RCA adapters are available cheap at any electronics supply (Radio
Shack, etc.), if necessary.

One thing to remember too is that recording video _can_ take up a lot of
disk space and CPU cycles.  If you want something as a constant
surveillance recorder, especially if using more than one camera, you
might want to consider a dedicated computer for it, and probably have a
dedicated hard drive for video storage.  80GB drives are dirt-cheap
these days and should hold a good bit of video, depending on various
record settings (constant vs. motion record, resolution, frame rate,
compression level, etc.)

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0603-4, 01/20/2006
Tested on: 1/22/2006 9:11:38 PM