Re: New Home Security System Wiring

I always kept my alarm wiring at least one foot away from
parallel 110 VAC cables and 2 feet away from 220 VAC.  That
worked for me.  The strength of the electromagnetic field around
an AC cable is directly proportional to the voltage on the cable
but inversely proportional to the distance from the cable so
1.4142136' from 220 VAC would be the same as 1 foot from 110 VAC
but who's measuring?  :^)

It's fairly common practice to install the keypad a little way
above the light switch.  Doing so even with the low voltage cable
running in the same stud bay as the 110 VAC for that little
distance won't cause problems.  If you want to be extra careful,
run the cables along the nest stud and drill through behind the
keypad.

Crash rightly mentions drilling your own holes.  Never run low
voltage cables through the same holes with the house electrical
cables.  I've ripped out and rewired a few jobs where some idiot
pretending to be an installer pulled speaker cables through the
electrician's cable holes.  The guy may have been using one of
those levitating ladders and... umm, never mind. :^)

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Burglar Alarms