Re: Synchronization Of Strobe lights

NFPA 72 and 101 are vague with regard to synchronizing visible
notification appliances installed in SLEEPING ROOMS.  Likewise, IBC/IFC
and ICC A117.1 are equally vague.  Even the newest proposed version of
ADAAG references NFPA 72, which I submit is vague.

In my opinion, the RULE is that strobe lights are not required to be
synchronized.  The EXCEPTION is to synchronize MORE THAN 2 strobe
lights that may be within an occupant's field of view (135 degrees -
see NFPA 72-2002 A.7.5.4.1.2(3)).  That is THREE OR MORE strobes within
the same field of view may be required to be synchornized.

Best regards,

Mike

--
Michael B. Baker, SET