Re: Slomins vs ADT vs Brinks vs any other home security system vendor

I assume what you mean is you have DSL service over a conventional land line
(as opposed to "dry DSL"). And the answer is "it depends". Most alarm panel
makes do require a special DSL filter on the line in order to communicate
properly along with the DSL "hash". A good one is made by Excelsius (sp?).
There are a few panel makes that most often absolutely need a filter (DSC
for one) and a few that don't need one (Paradox almost never). You'll know
when the panel is tested to the station; it won't get through, so will
require the filter immediately. I have found in a couple of instances where
with the aging of the components of the board (I'm assuming here), the panel
will suddenly need the filter to work properly. So if in doubt, install it
!! (note, the conventional DSL filters given you for the phone will NOT work
for the alarm panel....)

The plus side to installing a DSL filter even when you strictly don't need
it for alarm transmission purposes, is that it allows the actual DSL signal
through even when the alarm panel has seized the phone line (and cut off the
telephones). So if you're doing a multi megabyte download at exactly the
time of the early morning when the panel decides to call the station to
check in with its test signal, with a filter, your download is not
interupted. Without a filter, your download is toast !!

RHC

http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html