Re: ADT Sales Job???

"J. Sloud" <jsloud@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:t3gau1thj4q6j5lp74fouikiq2jdbkm1bf@xxxxxxxxxx
> On Sat, 4 Feb 2006 16:29:27 -0500, "nospam" <nospam@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>I am looking into becoming an ADT sales person.  I hear they have two
>>separate divisions, one the residential and the other, small business.
>>Can
>>anyone tell me if the promises I have been told are true, or is it all
>>bull?
>>I hear 45,000 your first year is realistic.  Is this true?  Are leads
>>provided?  Any help with my decision would be a great help.  Thank you!
>>

> ADT has several  sales divisions including residential, small
> business, core commercial, national retail accounts, national
> commercial/ industrial accounts, and federal systems.
>
> Residential and small biz are high volume sales jobs with
> commission-only compensation  plans.  Your income depends on your
> results.  I know resi salespeople who make 100K a year.  However $40K
> or $50K a year is realistic for someone that is making quota.  Most
> salespeople in these divisions don't make it and turnover tends to be
> high.  ADT provides a decent stream of leads.  However, successful
> salespeople generate their own leads.
>
> The core commerical sales department is the first level B2B sales
> position usually requiring a college degree and/or previous
> professional sales experience.  These reps sell to locally based
> midsize to large businesses in most any industry.  A good percentage
> of the sales in this division come from non-alarm technologies such as
> access control and video systems.
>
> ADT's national accounts and federal system sales divisons employee
> account managers with prior experience in big ticket B2B sales and/or
> management experience in the industry they are selling to.  A very
> high percentage of ADT's revenue comes from these national account and
> government contracts.

J.,
Thanks very much for the insight.  I have a degree and B to B sales
experience.  I wonder if it's too late to start asking about the core
business group, or might I make a move after 6 months of small business
sales.  Is there a career track, or are you lucky to survive 6 months in the
small business sales group?  I don't mind putting in a 10 hour day
consistently, a 12 hour day when necessary provided I can make a decent
living.  Thanks very much for your help.. much appreciated.