Re: Color code for home alarm wiring

> i've always preferred solid over stranded for 90% of my
> installs...but fail to see how you'd color code differently
> for stranded vs. solid :-))

I'm not sure whether you're replying to me or to W.  Like you,
I've always preferred solid core cable for most things.  I
usually used stranded cable for siren speakers and the
transformer.  Most everything else gets solid core cable.  I'm
used to handling it and can manage to strip the stuff without
nicking the inner conductors (probably what causes problems for
some of these folks).

Speaking of color codes though, every so often I'd get a box of
22/4 stranded cable and for some reason the fourth wire was white
-- not green.  Clearly there's not a different color code for
stranded but for some reason that's the way it was.

> Years ago ADT wire used to have blue instead of green...

Quite a few years ago they used to use something called "rainbow"
wire.  It had a clear sheath and I forget how many inside
conductors, each of a different color.  They would run this stuff
around the basement from one junction box to the next.  At each
box they would splice whatever sensors or key stations (*not*
keypads) were nearby to the appropriate wires.  Once you knew the
color code you could work on any of their systems.

These were ancient systems in southern New England.  They may or
may not have actually been ADT originally.  They bought out
several other old companies around the time when Methuselah was
cutting his baby teeth.  :^)

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Burglar Alarms
The Online DIY Store
http://www.BassBurglarAlarms.com

--

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large
groups.