Re: EOL's

Al Colombo wrote:

<snip>

> To address the alarm problem/resistor issue itself, I don't even think
> the original poster's problem was directly related to the EOL changing
> it's resistance since he was referring to a burglar alarm system that
> uses a closed loop.  I posted my thoughts on that as well.
>
> As far as tolerance goes, there's not a lot to discuss, really.  If you
> have a 1,000 ohm resistor and it has a 10% tolerance band, out of the
> box it could be a anywhere from 900 to 1100 ohms in resistance.
> Really, what else is there to say about tolerance?  But my point was
> this, if you are dealing with a 20% tolerance resistor, and given time
> with heat and humidity, or an induced high current from a nearby
> lightning strike, the variance from the required ohmage can vary even
> wider.  If you use a resistor with a tighter tolerance, say 10% or even
> 5%, you're to begin with closer to the ohmage you want so that a little
> drift won't matter as much.

I agree that a resistor with no tolerance band is probably going to
"drift" from it's original resistance over time.  They're usually
manufactured from cheaper materials and that brings it into the realm of
"you get what you pay for".  I also see where you were trying to go with
this (in your original response which Robert took such exception to and
which has grown all out of proportion).  I think we should all learn to
be a bit more tolerant and not "jump" on the first wrong thing a person
says.  There are nicer ways of saying "you're wrong" than flashing the
"you were never an installer so how would you know" card.  I also know
I'm guilty of doing the very same thing when it comes to some of the
more idiotic things Robert says.  He's managed to build quite the wall
over the years he's posted here and what's worse is, his ego won't allow
him to admit it not to mention everything he does admit winds up showing
up at a certain website (I'm not saying that he doesn't deserve it).

I never had any doubt about your experience.  I have no doubt that
Robert installed and serviced systems as well.  I just know he didn't
for as long as he says he did ("running" an alarm company is a whole lot
different than actually being "in the trade").  I know many alarm
company owners that install and service equipment.  I also know many
that wouldn't know the first thing about programming something as simple
as a DSC PC-1555 let alone what a "Grabbit" is.  Robert represents the
group in the middle (those with actual hands-on experience and some
installation knowledge).  I think most of the people in this Newgroup
fall into this category.

It's interesting that he seems to think that continuing to misrepresent
his experience in the face of so much overwhelming evidence to the
contrary somehow gives him more credibility, when all it really does is
make him look more like a "wannabee".  I can understand where "28 years
in the trade" is a whole lot more impressive to say than "15 years",
though.  It's sort of like the "My dad can whip your dad" thing, or
comparing the size of your engine, length of your boat, make of your
car, speed of your computer.

> This was my point I was trying to get across in the begin with.
> Thanks for letting me ramble on.

Hey...  I ain't the moderator.  No need to thank me.  Feel free to
"ramble on" anytime.  That "Campbell Character" does it all the time.  :-)